Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Zombies Go (Almost) Mainstream... and Threaten to Vanquish Liberalism


AMC, birthplace of such fantastic and ballsy (and fantastically ballsy) television as "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad" (haven't had a chance to catch "Rubicon" with the great James Badge Dale from "The Pacific"), debuted their highly anticipated pilot for "The Walking Dead," based on the comic books by writer Robert Kirkman and artist Tony Moore (Image Comics), which looked a little like this....







and like this...

 
Before it started to look like this....



and like this....



and like this...


and like this...


Anyway, the series debuted on Sunday night, and scored higher ratings than my boys Colbert and Stewart.

I'm not really sure how I feel about that, other than having a sneaking suspicion that zombies are part of a vast Right Wing Conspiracy to spit putrified intestinal gore into the Lefty/Pinko punch.

Ah, well... We've all gotta' die someday.  I just hope I stay down when I do.  I could use the rest.

Oh yeah, the pilot was fantastic.  Measured, patient, well acted/written (after the ham handed opening convo between the two sheriffs), and not overly giddy with its own "zombieness," which I think overpowers and undercuts most inferior, clumsily handled fare in the genre.

I think it'll be a smashing series, which apparently is only six episodes long, although it's rumored that a second season has already been greenlit.

Sunday night has long been the best night for television (just ask Paul Rudd in "I Love You Man").  Now, it just got a little more noxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment